A homeschooling blog we created to share our stories and adventures as we live and learn as a family.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

yes, we have no bananas




Actually we do have bananas. Lots and lots of bananas. They were looking rather forlorn and left out in my cabinet today so I decided to put them to good use and whip up some delicious vegan treats. We began our morning with some vegan buckwheat banana pancakes and then moved on to some buckwheat banana bread. Can you tell I like the pairing of buckwheat and bananas? The bananas sweeten buckwheat's earthy flavors and add potassium to buckwheat's fiber and magnesium. And they taste yummy together. Two great tastes that taste great together. What could be better?

Vegan buckwheat banana pancakes from Vegetarian Time's Healing Foods Cookbook can be found here http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10043

I veganized my tried and true all time favorite banana bread recipe from Epicurious using egg replacer and earth's balance vegan butter. I omit the chocolate chips but add a tablespoon or two of ground flax seeds. I used half buckwheat flour and half all-purpose. The kids gobbled it up so quickly, I couldn't even get a picture before they'd began taking slices! You can find it here
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Aunt-Hollys-Banana-Bread-239027

Today was our last day of vacation and it was great to spend it in the kitchen with my four favorite people. And lest you think we eat nothing but sweet treats around here I added a picture of our dinner - braised seitan cutlets in mushroom and red wine sauce, also from Vegetarian Times. This was so delicious I have been dreaming about it ever since. I made a chicken version for my carnivorous husband as well. It is destined to become a family favorite and I can't wait to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment