A homeschooling blog we created to share our stories and adventures as we live and learn as a family.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Little Christmas


I absolutely loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was growing up. I read them, and re-read them, delighting in my favorite tales of life as a pioneer girl many times. I especially love the story of Christmas in the big woods of Wisconsin, where Laura Ingalls was born. She wrote of Christmas,

In each stocking there was a pair of bright red mittens, and there was a long, flat stick of red-and-white-striped peppermint candy, all beautifully notched along each side. They were all so happy they could hardly speak at first. They just looked with shinging eyes at those lovely Christmas presents. But Laura was happiest of all. Laura had a rag doll...The other girls were not jealous because Laura had mittens, and candy, and a doll, because Laura was the littlest girl.

This year I would really love for our Christmas morning to feel so sweet and simple. I know it might not be possible, - it's only December first after all, and I am already feeling overwhelmed! But I would really love to find the simple, special meaning of the holidays with my children and downplay the pervasive consumerism that seems to be all around us. I want my children to have wonderful memories of the holidays and of the things we did together as a family - not of the things they unwrapped under the tree on Christmas morning. Most of all, I want them to feel that Christmas is about family, and giving, and love.

Hope everyone out there is breathing deeply, and feeling the love this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment